Friday, September 10, 2010

Fall=Warm yummy soup!


I haven't been posting in the last week because I really haven't cooked in the last week(good reason, eh?). I was in FL for a few days for my Grandmothers funeral and most of the food was brought in by friends and neighbors. This was my first day cooking from scratch and having it not be Spaghetti.
Here in MI, the weather has taken a turn and we are welcoming in fall. For me this means a few things. First, it means the weather cooling down. Second, it means that leaves changing(LOVE that!). Third, it means I can make soup again without melting while eating it!
Everyone loved this soup! I was surprised that even Logan and Estrella(my sweet "god-daughter") dug in with gusto.

Butternut Squash and Onion Soup


  • 1 large butternut squash
  • 1 medium or large sized onion
  • 1 large baking potato
  • Garlic powder to taste
  • 5 cups vegetable stock
  • 3 cups water
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
  • A handful of chopped fresh chives


1) Peel and cut Squash into smallish chunks. Cut Potato and Onion into small chunks(smaller than the Squash).
2) Saute Onion in Olive Oil until tender(It helps if you do this in a large sauce pan). Add Squash, Potato, and broth to pan.
3)Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 min.
4)Remove small portions from pan and place in a blender or food processor. Blend until it reaches the consistency you desire.(I put the blended portions into a large mixing bowl until the pan was empty and then poured it all back in the pan).
5)Salt, Pepper and Garlic to taste. I served the soup with whole grain french bread. Yummm.

By the way- My husband was really surprised by how filling this meal was.

This made enough for about 10 to 12 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment