Thursday, November 11, 2010


Ready to snicker? These are called "Pasties". You can call them whatever you like, we say it so it doesn't sound the way it's spelled. All I need is for my son you go to school and tell everyone that his mommy made pasties!
I'm giving a version of a recipe that I found. I have made changes to the recipe and have listed how I made them. The only thing I didn't add was that I put asparagus in the pasties I made. They were fantastic! Logan loved that he could eat them with his hands.
I hope you will try and enjoy this recipe!

Pasties

1/4 cup butter
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, sliced thin
1 turnip, peeled and diced
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1/4 pound mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 pound shredded Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg, beaten
    The Crust:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2/3 cups butter (or Crisco)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup cold water

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Divide pastry dough into four equal portions and roll each one out in a square shape. Set pastry aside to rest.
  3. Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter or margarine and allow to melt. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes, until translucent and beginning to brown. Add carrot, turnip, potato, mushrooms, and water. Lower heat and cover skillet. Allow mixture to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. In a small bowl add milk and whisked 1 egg. Stir this mixture into cooked vegetables. Continue to stir until mixture thickens. Add cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
  5. Place 1/4 of filling on one half of each pastry square. Fold pastry diagonally and seal edges. Brush tops of pastry with beaten egg.
  6. Place pasties on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment